Title: Effect of preharvest understory treatment and group opening size on four-year survival of advance reproduction in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas
Author: Spetich, Martin A.; Graney, David L.
Source: General Technical Report NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station
Description: The purpose of this study was to examine survival of regeneration in small
openings. Six forest stands were located in 1990 and three understory treatments were
applied to each in early 1991. In each stand, six sizes of openings were created in 1992
ranging in size from 0.025 ac to 0.50 ac. Understory treatments consisted of:
1) no control of competing regeneration,
2) mechanical control of competing regeneration (cut stems), and
3) chemical control of competing regeneration (cut stems sprayed with herbicide).
Only northern red oak appeared to exhibit a response to treatments with increased survival
as intensity of understory control increased and as opening size decreased. We
attribute these results to the wide fluctuation in seedling populations and the short time
interval between opening creation and post-treatment measurement.
Keywords: advance reproduction, regeneration, Arkansas, Boston Mountains
View and Print this Publication (45 KB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility
Spetich, Martin A.; Graney, David L. 2003. Effect of preharvest understory treatment and group opening size on four-year survival of advance reproduction in the Boston Mountains of Arkansas. General Technical Report NC-234. St. Paul, MN: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, North Central Research Station.