||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Proceedings, 16th central hardwood forest conference
Author: Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds.
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 595 p. [CD-ROM].
- Stump sprouting of oak species in three silvicultural treatments in the southern Appalachians
Atwood, Chad J.; Fox, Thomas R.; Loftis, David L.
- Greenhouse and field performance of giant cane propagules from natural and planted stands
Brendecke, William W.; Zaczek, James J.
- Grafting influences on early acorn production in swamp white oak (Quercus bicolor Wild.)
Coggeshall, Mark V.; Van Sambeek, J.W.; Garrett, H.E.
- Single-tree harvesting reduces survival and growth of oak stump sprouts in the Missouri Ozark Highlands
Dey, Daniel C.; Jensen, Randy G.; Wallendorf, Michael J.
- Comparing single-tree selection, group selection, and clearcutting for regenerating oaks and pines in the Missouri Ozarks
Jensen, Randy G.; Kabrick, John M.
- Response of northern red oak, black walnut, and white ash seedlings to various levels of simulated summer deer browsing
Morrissey, Robert C.; Jacobs, Douglass F.; Seifert, John R.
- Disking and mid- and understory removal following an above-average acorn crop in three mature oak forests in southern Indiana
Rathfon, Ronald A.; Lichti, Nathanael I.; Swihart, Robert K.
- The status of oak and hickory regeneration in forests of Virginia
Rose, Anita K.
- Analysis of riparian afforestation methods in the Missouri Ozarks
Steele, Kyle L.; Kabrick, John M.; Jensen, Randy G.; Wallendorf, Michael J.; Dey, Daniel C.
- Effects of deer exclosures on oak regeneration in closed-canopy stands
Yuska, Angela M.; Steiner, Kim C.; Finley, James C.
- Consumer ring count and grain texture preferences of selected eastern United States hardwoods
Alderman, Delton; Bumgardner, Matthew; Bowe, Scott; Brinberg, David
- Effect of curve sawing on lumber recovery and warp of short cherry logs containing sweep
Bond, Brian H.; Araman, Philip
- Preliminary silvicultural recommendations and an updated annotated bibliography for birdseye sugar maple
Bragg, Don C.
- The Amish furniture cluster in Ohio: competitive factors and wood use estimates
Bumgardner, Matthew; Romig, Robert; Luppold, William
- Stress wave velocity and dynamic modulus of elasticity of yellow-poplar ranging from 100 to 10 percent moisture content
Gray, Jody D.; Grushecky, Shawn T.; Armstrong, James P.
- Defect reduction in low-value white oak lumber using restrained drying
Grushecky, Shawn T.; Adedipe, Oluwatosin; Collins, Charlie II; Cox, Brian; Dougherty, Colin
- Nontimber forest products in Daniel Boone National Forest region--economic significance and potential for sustainability
Hembram, Dasharathi; Hoover, William L.
- U.S. hardwood lumber production: 1963 to 2003
Luppold, William; Bumgardner, Matthew
- Synthetic rope applications in Appalachian logging
Spong, Ben D.; Wang, Jingxin
- Sources of the Indiana hardwood industry's competitiveness
Tora, Silas; Haviarova, Eva
- Long-term leaf fall mass from three watersheds on the Fernow Experimental Forest, West Virginia
Adams, Mary Beth
- Distribution and dynamics of hayscented fern following stand harvest
Fei, Songlin; Gould, Peter J.; Kaeser, Melanie J.; Steiner, Kim C.
- Shifts in relative stocking of common tree species in Kentucky from 1975 to 2004
Oswalt, Christopher M.; Stringer, Jeffrey A.; Turner, Jeffery A.
- Forty-two years of change in an old-growth and second-growth beech-maple forest of north central Ohio
Pinheiro, Natalie R.; Goebel, P. Charles; Hix, David M.
- Current forest conditions of older stands of the mixed mesophytic forest region on the Appalachian Plateaus Province of eastern Kentucky
Rosson, James F. Jr.
- Twenty-year-old results from a bottomland oak species comparison trial in western Kentucky
Rousseau, Randall J.
- Contribution of stumps to carbon and nitrogen pools in southern Appalachian hardwood forests
Sucre, Eric B.; Fox, Thomas R.
- User group attitudes toward forest management treatments on the Shawnee National Forest: application of a photo-evaluation technique
Cohen, Jonathan M.; Mangun, Jean C.; Davenport, Mae A.; Carver, Andrew D.
- Estimating willingness to pay for protection of eastern black walnut from deer damage
Godsey, Larry D.; Dwyer, John P.
- West Virginia forest industry transportation network analysis using GIS
Harouff, Steven E.; Grushecky, Shawn T.; Spong, Ben D.
- Exploring the optimal economic timing for crop tree release treatments in hardwoods: results from simulation
LeDoux, Chris B.; Miller, Gary W.
- A method for quantifying and comparing the costs and benefits of alternative riparian zone buffer widths
LeDoux, Chris B.; Wilkerson, Ethel
- Modeling landowner behavior regarding forest certification
Mercker, David C.; Hodges, Donald G.
- Landowner attitudes and perceptions of forest and wildlife management in rural northern Missouri
Schweiss, Brian E.; Dwyer, John
- Sustainable bioenergy production from Missouri's Ozark forests
Stelzer, Henry E.; Barnett, Chris; Bensen, Verel W.
- Effectiveness of the forest stewardship program in conserving natural resources on private lands in Indiana
Zhalnin, Andriy V.; Broussard, Shorna R.; Farnsworth, Richard L.
- A whole stand basal area projection model for Appalachian hardwoods
Brooks, John R.; Jiang, Lichun; Perkowski, Matthew; Sharma, Benktesh
- Adaptation of the QBR index for use in riparian forests of central Ohio
Colwell, Stephanie R.; Hix, David M.
- Dominant height-based height-diameter equations for trees in southern Indiana
Kershaw, John A., Jr.; Morrissey, Robert C.; Jacobs, Douglass F.; Seifert , John R.; McCarter, James B.
- A GIS-based approach to stand visualization and spatial pattern analysis in a mixed hardwood forest in West Virginia
Sharma, Benktesh D.; Wang, Jingxin; Miller, Gary
- Using Lidar and color infrared imagery to successfully measure stand characteristics on the William B. Bankhead National Forest, Alabama
Stephens, Jeffrey; Dimov, Luben; Schweitzer, Callie; Tadesse, Wubishet
- Ecological modeling for forest management in the Shawnee National Forest
Thurau, Richard G.; Fralish, J.F.; Hupe, S.; Fitch, B.; Carver, A.D.
- Stand level height-diameter mixed effects models: parameters fitted using loblolly pine but calibrated for sweetgum
Vanderschaaf, Curtis L.
- Grapevine dynamics after manual tending of juvenile stands on the Hoosier National Forest, Indiana
Morrissey, Robert C.; Gauthier, Martin-Michel; Kershaw, John A., Jr.; Jacobs, Douglass F.; Fischer, Burnell C.; Siefert, John R.
- Thinning results from a mixed upland hardwood stand after 35 years
Myers, Ronald J., Jr.; Roeder, Kenneth R.; McNab, W. Henry
- Stand development of trembling aspen in Canaan Valley, West Virginia
Rentch, James S.; Anderson, James T.
- Deferred rotation harvests in central Appalachia: 20- and 25-year results
Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Schuler, Thomas M.
- Different histories but similar genetic diversity and structure for black walnut in Indiana and Missouri
Victory, Erin R.; Glaubitz, Jeffrey C.; Fike, Jennifer A.; Rhodes, Olin E.; Woeste, Keith E.
- Variation in flood tolerance of container-grown seedlings of swamp white oak, bur oak, and white oak
Walsh, Michael P.; Van Sambeek, J.W.; Coggeshall, Mark V.
- Crop tree release increases growth of red oak sawtimber in southern New England: 12-year results
Ward, Jeffrey S.
- Species composition, diameter distribution, and crown class at initiation of a thinning study of pole-size hardwood stands in the Hoosier National Forest
Woods, Ryan L.; Jacobs, Douglass F.
- Fungi associated with stem cankers and coincidental scolytid beetles on declining hickory in the upper midwest
Juzwik, Jennifer; Haugen, Linda; Park, Ji-Hyun; Moore, Melanie
- Managing Japanese stiltgrass dominated communities in the ridge and valley physiographic province in eastern West Virginia
McGill, David W.; Grafton, William N.; Pomp, Jonathan A.
- The extent of selected non-native invasive plants on Missouri forestland
Moser, W. Keith; Hansen, Mark H.; Nelson, Mark D.
- Investigating the relationship between bole scorch height and fire intensity variables in the ridge and valley physiographic province, West Virginia
Pomp, Jonathan A.; McGill, David W.; Schuler, Thomas M.
- Seed bank emergence following prescribed burning in the Ozark Highlands
Schuler, Jamie L.; Liechty, Hal O.
- Fire scars and tree vigor following prescribed fires in Missouri Ozark upland forests
Stevenson, Aaron P.; Muzika, Rose-Marie; Guyette, Richard P.
- Status of oak seedlings and saplings in the northern United States: implications for sustainability of oak forests
Woodall, Chris W.; Morin, Randall S.; Steinman, Jim R.; Perry, Charles H.
- Early understory biomass response to organic matter removal and soil compaction
Ponder, Felix Jr.
- Effect of fertilizer treatments on an alkaline soil and on early performance of two bottomland oak species
Ponder, Felix Jr.; Kramer, Matthew John; Eivazi, Freida
- Effects of moisture and nitrogen stress on gas exchange and nutrient resorption in Quercus rubra seedlings
Salifu, K. Francis; Jacobs, Douglass F.
- Influence of microtopography on soil chemistry and understory riparian vegetation
Unger, Irene M.; Muzika, Rose-Marie
- Growth and foliar nitrogen concentrations of interplanted native woody legumes and pecan
Van Sambeek, J.W.; Navarrete-Tindall, Nadia E.; Hunt, Kenneth L.
- Black walnut suitability index: a Natural Resources Conservation Service national soil information system based interpretive model
Wallace, Douglas c.; Young, Fred J.
Description: Proceedings of the 16th Central Hardwood Forest Conference held April 8-9, 2008, in West Lafayette, IN. Includes 64 papers pertaining to forest regeneration and propagation, forest products, ecology and forest dynamics, human dimensions and economics, forest biometrics and modeling, silviculture and genetics, forest health and protection, and soil and mineral nutrition.
View or Print this Publication (14.8 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Jacobs, Douglass F.; Michler, Charles H., eds. 2008. Proceedings, 16th central hardwood forest conference. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-P-24. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 595 p. [CD-ROM].
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility