You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Computer simulation modeling of recreation use: Current status, case studies, and future directions
Author: Cole, David N.
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-143. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 75 p.
- Why Model Recreation Use?
Cole, David N.; Cahill, Kerri; Hof, Marilyn
- Historical Development of Simulation Models of Recreation Use
van Wagtendonk, Jan W.; Cole, David N.
- Overview of Computer Simulation Modeling Approaches and Methods
Manning, Robert E.; Itami, Robert M.; Cole, David N.; Gimblett, Randy
- Case studies of simulation models of recreation use
Cole, David N.
- Future directions for simulation of recreation use
Cole, David N.
Description: This report compiles information about recent progress in the application of computer simulation modeling to planning and management of recreation use, particularly in parks and wilderness. Early modeling efforts are described in a chapter that provides an historical perspective. Another chapter provides an overview of modeling options, common data input requirements, and useful model outputs. The bulk of the report consists of case studies that illustrate a broad array of recreational situations and management applications for simulation modeling. A final chapter describes some future directions for modeling work. Although simulation of recreation use is already a tool for planning and management, its utility could be greatly enhanced with further work in software development, increased understanding of appropriate methodologies, and greater attention to model verification and validation.
Keywords: computer simulation, park planning, recreation management, simulation modeling
View or Print this Publication (820 K bytes)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Cole, David N. 2005. Computer simulation modeling of recreation use: Current status, case studies, and future directions. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-143. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 75 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility