||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Proceedings of the 2005 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium
Author: Peden, John G.; Schuster, Rudy M., comps., eds.; Schuster, Rudy M. comps.
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-341. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northestern Research Station. 429 p.
- Developing Tourism Goals and Objectives for the Parks Canada Agency
Zealand, Clark T.W.; Zou, Pengbo; Eagles, Paul F.J.; Bickis, Lija M.; Aspinall, Alison J.; Aspinall, Alison J.
- From Resource Dependence to Tourism: Discourses of Place in Two Vermont Towns
Geczi, Emilian; Stokowski, Patricia
- Understanding Web Travel Search and Purchase Behaviors
Kah, Angela; Vogt, Christine A.
- The Current State of Heritage Areas Research: Challenges and Opportunities
Copping, Suzanne; Martin, Susan
- Role of natural and cultural features in residents' perceptions of rural character
Pynnonen, Dori; Propst, Dennis; Vogt, Christine; McDonough, Maureen
- The Role of Risk Perception in a One-day Wilderness Whitewater Rafting Trip
Vagias, Wade; Morais, Duarte; Dziubek, Daniel
- Use, Users, and Benefits of the West Branch of the Farmington River
Moore, Roger L.; Siderelis, Christos
- A Classification of Major Springs in Florida Using the Water Recreation Opportunity Spectrum Framework
Kil, Nam-Yun; Confer, John
- Evaluating the Effectiveness of Wilderness Campsite Monitoring at Linville Gorge Wilderness
Colistra, Craig M.; Flood, Joseph P.
- Developing a Research Process to Monitor Social Conditions in Five Adirondack Park Protected Areas
Dawson, Chad P.; Connelly, Nancy A.; Brown, Tommy L.
- Managing Volunteers: Developing and Implementing an Effective Program
Flood, Joseph P.; Gardner, Eric; Yarrell, Kelvin
- Linking Research, Legal Mandates and Public Input to Update Michigan's ORV Plan
Nelson, Charles M.; McCoy, Robin
- Throw Away Your Old Environmental Education Trunks and Surf Into the Future
Ammirati, Anthony; Flood, Joseph P.
- Using Participant Observation to Study Recreation Management Decision-making
- Back to the Future: Trends in Northeast Recreation, Tourism and Future Research A Founders' Forum Presentation
Warnick, Rodney B.
- Ethical Issues in Recreation Research as Perceived by Recreation, Park Resources, and Leisure Services Faculty
Groves, Bruce W.; Kucharewski, Ruthie; Longsdorf, Eric L.
- Just Don't Tell Me No: Managing OHV Recreational Use on National Forests
Flood, Joseph P.
- Emergency Preparedness and Tourism: Both Win with Help of the Amateur Meteorologist
Bristow, Robert S.; Leiker, Karl; DeBlois, Roland
- Assessing the Public's Attitude Toward Fees at Wildland Recreation Sites
Riley, Candace; Ramthun, Roy
- Balancing Leisure and Work: Evidence from the Seasonal Home
Stewart, Susan I.; Johnson, Kenneth M.
- Sustainable Tourism Infrastructure Planning: a GIS Based Approach
Boers, Bas; Cottrell, Stuart
- A Preliminary Investigation of Shopping Patterns at a Tourist Focused Outlet Center
- Capturing the Hike Experience on Video: a New Methodology for Studying Human Transactions with Nature
- Interpretive Theme Development from First Impressions and Visitor Center Evaluations at the Spruce Knob-Seneca Rocks National Recreation Area, WV
DeCarlo, Karissa A.; Pierskalla, Chad D.; Selin, Steven W.; Siniscalchi, Jason M.
- Measurement of Direct-Use Wilderness Values: A Qualitative Study
Schuster, Rudy; Cordell, H. Ken; Phillips, Brad
- The Meaning of "Nature": Insights from Cognitive Linguistics
- Climbers' attitudes toward recreation resource impacts in the Adirondack Park
Monz, Christopher A.; Smith, Katherine E.; Knickerbocker, Leah
- Visitor Perceptions of Crowding: an Exploratory Study in The Mohonk Preserve
Grieser, Kevin, Dawson, Chad Dawson; Schuster, Rudy
- Employee perceptions of protected area law enforcement
Wynveen, Christopher J.; Bixler, Robert D.; Hammitt, William E.
- An Analysis of Homeowner and Agency Wildland Fire Mitigation Strategies
Absher, James D.; Vaske, Jerry J.
- An examination of the motivation - enduring involvement relationship
Kyle, Gerard; Absher, James; Hammitt, William
- Racial Discrimination in Parks and Outdoor Recreation: an Empircal Study
Stanfield, Rebecca; Manning, Robert; Budruk, Megha; Floyd, Myron
- Perceived Opportunities and Constraints on Participation in a Massachusetts Youth Hunt
Zwick, Rodney; Flaherty, Jeremy; Solan, David; Tisa, Mark; Langlois, Susan
- Easement-based Land Conservation and Recreational Access in the Northern Forest
Davis, Bryan; Stokowski, Patricia A.; Capen, David E.
- Urban and Community Forestry Stewardship in Baltimore: Assessing Opportunities Using Conjoint Analysis
Dennis, Donald F.; Grove, J. Morgan
- Parks and the Geography Of Fear
Suau, Luis; Confer, John
- Methodological Challenges to Estimating Recreation Use Over a Large Geographical Area: a Case Study of 35 TVA Reservoirs
Baumgartner, Robert; Rathbun, Pam; Phillips, Marty; Humphrey, George
- Data Mining in Recreation Research: Determinants of Place Attachment in Recreational Camps and Cottages
Flaherty, Jeremy S.; Zwick, Rodney R.; Brown, Ralph B.
- An analysis of attitudes towards the comprehensive Everglades Restoration Plan using market segmentation
Bransford, Jeffrey J.; Bixler, Robert D.; Hammitt, William E.
- Multi-use Trails: Truly Multi Use
Pedersen, Josh; Vogt, Christine A.; Nelson, Charles
- Leisure Activity Patterns and Household Composition: the Changing Household
Schneider, Paige P.; Vogt, Christine A.
- Service Quality in Tourism: a Case Study of the 2001 Study Tour of Taiwan
Yu, Alvin Hung-Chih; Morais, Duarte; Chick, Garry
- Museum Visitors' Perspectives on and Preferred Experiences for Heritage Tourism
Vander Stoep, Gail A.
- Predictors of Sustainable Tourism: Resident Perceptions of Tourism in Holland and China
Cottrell, Stuart; Vaske, Jerry J.; Shen, Fujun
- Exploring Differences Between Positivistic and Post-positivistic Philosophy: an Interpretivistic Case Study of Tourist Expectations & Satisfaction
Gale, Trace; Beeftink, Karen
- Movie Effects on the Image of Thailand Among College Student Travelers
Warnick, Rodney B.; Bojanic, David C.; Siriangkul, Artitaya
- Flow Experience Among Appalachian Trail Thru-hikers
Mills, Allan S.; Butler, Thomas S.
- Exploring the Usefulness of the Dispositional Flow Scale for Outdoor Recreation Activities
Whitmore, Joshua G.; Borrie, William T.
- The Importance of Place and the Substitutability of River Recreation Resources: Empirical Evidence from the Chattooga Wild & Scenic River
Backlund, Erik A.
- Recreation Patterns at Lava Lands Recreation Area, Newberry National Volcanic Monument
Covelli, Elizabeth A.; Burns, Robert C.; Graefe, Alan R.
- Trail Condition Preferences of Horseback Riders on the Clemson University Experimental Forest
Gibson, J. Morgan; Machnik, Lisa K.; Hammitt, William E.
- Place Attachment and Perceptions of Benefits Generated by the Future Tioughnioga River Trail Project
Todd, Sharon L.; Anderson, Lynn S.
- A discriminant analysis of social and psychological factors influencing fishing participation
- Fishing Heritage Festivals, Tourism, and Community Development in the Gulf Of Maine
Claesson, Stefan; Robertson, Robert A.; Hall-Arber, Madeleine
Description: Contains articles presented at the 2005 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Contents cover tourism planning, roundtable discussion, perceptions and preferences, impact monitoring, management presentations, founder?s forum, poster session, methodology, environmentalism and ethics, crowding and carrying capacity, management issues, constraints, urban park and community forestry: use and management, market segmentation, tourism and the tourist experience, leisure, work, and physical activity, place attachment, recreational and commercial fishing. NOTE, this is the full-text document. Individual papers are available via Treesearch.
Keywords: outdoor, visitor management, place attachment, tourism development, tourism, carrying capacity, recreation behavior
View or Print this Publication (4.6 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Peden, John G.; Schuster, Rudy M., comps., eds. 2006. Proceedings of the 2005 Northeastern Recreation Research Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-341. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northestern Research Station. 429 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility