You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Forest statistics for Mississippi Delta counties - 1987
Author: Kelly, John F.; Hines, F. Dee
Source: Resour. Bull. SO-126. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 39 p.
Description: The 1987 survey of the 14 counties in the Mississippi Delta unit indicated the following changes since the previous survey in 1977:
- Timber area, now covering 1,388.3 thousand acres, has decreased 6 percent.
- Forest industry-owned timberland decreased 127.9 thousand acres, or 49 percent; other public land increased 70.3 thousand acres.
- The oak-gum-cypress forest type decreased by 87.1 thousand acres, or 10 percent; it now accounts for 55 percent of total timberland.
- Sawtimber stands increased 70.4 thousand acres, and now account for 70 percent of all timberland.
- Hardwood growing-stock volume increased 23 percent, and now accounts for 93 percent of all volume; hardwood sawtimber similarly increased by 26 percent.
- Softwood growing-stock volume increased 24 percent; sawtimber volume increased 50 percent.
- Net growth of hardwood growing stock increased 21 percent; net growth of softwood growing stock did not change.
- Removals of growing stock decreased 31 percent, with the decrease attributable to hardwoods.
View or Print this Publication (5.41 MB bytes)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Kelly, John F.; Hines, F. Dee 1987. Forest statistics for Mississippi Delta counties - 1987. Resour. Bull. SO-126. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 39 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility