You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Forest statistics for Central Mississippi counties - 1987
Author: Kelly, John F.; Dee Hines, F.
Source: Resour. Bull. SO-127. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 38 p.
Description: The 1987 survey of the 14 counties in the Central Mississippi unit indicated the following changes since the previous survey in 1977:
- Timberland area, now covering 4,097.0 thousand acres, has increased 6 percent.
- Forest industry-owned timberland increased 112.5 thousand acres or 13 percent.
- Pine forest types decreased by 11 percent.
- Oak-pine and oak-hickory forest types increased by 12 and 41 percent respectively.
- Sapling-seedling stands increased 29 percent; poletimber stands decreased 15 percent; sawtimber stands increased 4 percent.
- Planted area increased 275.6 thousand acres, a 90 percent increase.
- Softwood growing-stock volume decreased 2 percent; softwood sawtimber volume increased 12 percent.
- Hardwood growing-stock volume increased 20 percent; hardwood sawtimber volume increased 29 percent.
- Net growth of softwood growing stock decreased 21 percent.
- Net growth of hardwood growing stock increased by 22 percent.
- Removals of growing stock increased 34 percent. Softwood removals increased 36 percent; softwood removals now exceed growth. Hardwood removals increased by 31 percent.
- Mortality of growing stock increased 87 percent.
View or Print this Publication (2.87 MB bytes)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Kelly, John F.; Dee Hines, F. 1987. Forest statistics for Central Mississippi counties - 1987. Resour. Bull. SO-127. New Orleans, Louisiana: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 38 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility