||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Proceedings of the conference on metropolitan physical environment
Author: Heisler, Gordon M.; Herrington, Lee P.
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-25. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 1-447
- The conference
Heisler, Gordon M.; Herrington, Lee P.
- Overview of urban climate
Braham, Roscoe R., Jr.
- Mesoscale features of urban rainfall enhancement
Huff, F. A.
- The urban moisture climate
Sisterson, Douglas L.
- Anthropogenic Moisture production and its effect on boundary-layer circulations over New York City
Bornstein, Robert D.; Tam, Yam-Tong
- Temporal and spatial variability of rainfall pH
Semonin, Richard G.
- Effect of urbanization on the thermal structure in the atmosphere
Viskanta, R.; Johnson, R. O.; Bergstrom, R. W., Jr.
- A preliminary investigation of the nocturnal temperature structure above the city of Edmonton, Alberta
- Surface air temperature in a maritime metropolitan region
McTaggart-Cowen, J. D.; Young, J. W. S.
- The urban heat island in Akron, Ohio
Martin, Frank P.; Powell, Grace L.
- Washington's "free" 300-station microscale weather network
- Structure of the microclimate at a woodland/parking-lot interface
Miller, David R.
- Outdoor comfort of pedestrians in cities
Arens, Edward; Ballanti, Donald
- Human thermal comfort in urban outdoor spaces
Herrington, Lee P.; Vittum, J. S.
- Effect of synthetic surfaces and vegetation in urban areas on human energy balance and comfort
Stark, Thomas F.; Miller, David R.
- Design of outdoor urban spaces for thermal comfort
Plumley, Harriet J.
- Topoclimatic aspects of developmental suitability in the metropolitan landscape
Joyner, Spencer A., Jr.; Bradley, Raymond S.; Reiter, Robert E., Jr.
- Range of sound levels in the outdoor environment
Goodfriend, Lewis S.
- Outside and inside noise exposure in urban and suburban areas
Bishop, Dwight E.; Simpson, Myles A.
- Study of traffic noise levels at various heights of a 39-story building
Meyerson, Norman L.
- Community noise monitoring program
Konheim, Arnold G.
- Sound absorption characteristics of tree bark and forest floor
Reethof, G.; McDaniel, O. H.; Heisler, G. M.
- Evaluating effects of vegetation on the acoustical environment by physical scale-modeling
Lyon, Richard H.; Blair, Cristopher N.; DeJong, Richard G.
- Propagation of noise over and through a forest stand
Herrington, Lee P.; Brock, C.
- Some physical and psychological aspects of noise attenuation by vegetation
Aylor, Donald E.
- Suburban noise control with plant materials and solid barriers
Cook, David I.; Van Haverbeke, David F.
- Role of land use planning in noise control
Caswell, Stephanie J.; Jakus, Karl
- A first-approximation urban-air-quality indicator
Paproski, David M.; Walker, Julian R.
- Use of a land-use-based emissions inventory in delineating clean-air zones
Fahrer, Victor S.; Peters, Howard A.
- Application of the urban mixing-depth concept to air pollution problems
Summers, Peter W.
- Air Pollution and urban climatology at Norfolk, Virginia
Pritchard, W. Maurice; Chopra, Kuldip P.
- Development of alternative sulfur dioxide control strategies for a metropolitan area and its environs, utilizing a modified climatological dispersion model
Skipka, K. J.; Smith, D. B.
- Fugitive dust from vehicles traveling on unpaved roads
Cuscino, Thomas A.; Heinsohn, Robert Jennings; Birnie, Clotworthy, Jr.
- Air quality as reflected by injury to metropolitan vegetation
Rhoads, A. F.; Brennan, E.
- Sulfur pollution: an environmental study of Welland, Ontario
Moss, Michael R.
- Landfill gases and some effects on vegetation
Flower, Franklin B.; Leone, Ida A.; Gilman, Edward F.; Arthur, John J.
- Characterization of biological particulate loads in metropolitan air
Snow, J. A.; Schein, R. D.; Moroz, W. J.
- Retention of particulate lead on foliage and twigs of a white pine windbreak
Heichel, G. H.; Hankin, Lester
- A model for estimating air-pollutant uptake by forests: calculation of absorption of sulfur dioxide from dispersed sources
Murphy, C. E., Jr.; Sinclair, T. R.; Knoerr, K. R.
- Ecology of an urban park
Coleman, Derek J.
- Man-made New Orleans: some interactions between the physical and esthetic environments
Lockmann, Ronald F.
- Visual and functional components of the built environment: a case study of urban residential neighborhoods
Smith, Christopher J.
- Environmental perceptions of residents of a multifunctional building
Berger, Michael L.
- Relocation within the urban environment
DiMatino, David R.
- Residential settings: effects of home and neighborhood on the quality of life for old people
- Behavioral significance of milieu: a consideration of two downtown settings
Robertson, Douglas L.; Rowntree, Rowan A.
- Perception of high-density living in Hong Kong
Travers, Lawrence H.
- Visual land-use compatibility and scenic-resource quality
Hendrix, William G.
- A computerized model for integrating the physical environmental factors into metropolitan landscape planning
Fabos, Julius Gy; Ferris, Kimball H.
- Use of the Delphi method for determining community growth goals inventory: the Nashville experience
Varma, Vishwa K.
- Techniques of data analysis and presentation for planners of the metropolitan environment
Description: A report on the conference held in August 1975 at Syracuse, N.Y., containing 50 papers presented at the meeting, at which some 160 scientists and scholars discussed the use of vegetation, space, and structures to improve the amenities for people who live in metropolitan areas.
View or Print this Publication (23.5 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Heisler, Gordon M.; Herrington, Lee P. 1977. Proceedings of the conference on metropolitan physical environment. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-25. Upper Darby, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Forest Experiment Station. 1-447
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility