||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Proceedings of the 14th biennial southern silvicultural research conference
Author: Stanturf, John A.
Source: Stanturf, John A., ed. 2010. Proceedings of the 14th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–121. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 614 p.
- Quantifying carbon sequestration in forest plantations by modeling the dynamics of above and below ground carbon pools
Maier, Chris A.; Johnsen, Kurt H.
- Carbon sequestration and natural longleaf pine ecosystem
Thapa, Ram; Gjerstad, Dean; Kush, John; Zutter, Bruce
- Carbon sequestration resulting from bottomland hardwood afforestation in the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley
Nero, Bertrand F.; Maiers, Richard P.; Dewey, Janet C.; Londo, Andrew J.
- Carbon storage, soil carbon dioxide efflux and water quality in three widths of piedmont streamside management zones
Wadl, Erica F.; Lakel, William; Aust, Michael; Seiler, John
- Effects of nutrient and organic matter manipulation on carbon pools and fluxes in a young loblolly pine varietal stand on the lower coastal plain of South Carolina
Tyree, Michael; Seiler, John; Maier, Chris
- Family by environment interactions for loblolly and slash pine plantations in the southeastern United States
Roth, Brian E.; Jokela, Eric J.; Martin, Timothy A.; Huber, Dudley A.; White, Timothy L.
- Pinestraw raking, fertilization and poultry litter amendment effects on soil physical properties for a mid-rotation loblolly pine plantation
Patterson, William B.; Blazier, Michael A.; Holtard, Steven L.
- Initial response of loblolly pine and competition to mid rotation fertilization and herbicide application in the gulf coastal plain
Liechty, Hal O.; Fristoe, Conner
- Impact of pruning intensity on growth of young loblolly pine trees: some early results
Amateis, Ralph L.; Burkhart, Harold E.
- Effects of precommercial thinning in naturally regenerated loblolly-shortleaf pine stands in the upper west gulf coastal plain: results after two growing seasons
Guldin, James M.; Shelton, Michael G.
- Understory plant community response to compaction and harvest removal in a loblolly pine plantation
Vierra, Benjamin J.; Blank, Gary B.
- A comparison of northern and southern table mountain pine stands
Brose, Patrick H.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Mohr, Helen H.
- Long-term affects of a single P fertilization on Hedley P pools in a South Carolina loblolly pine plantation
Miller, Bradley W.; Fox, Thomas R.
- Effect of biosolids on a loblolly pine plantation forest in the Virginia piedmont
Arellano, Eduardo C.; Fox, Thomas R.
- Projected growth and yield and changes in soil site productivity for loblolly pine stands 10 years after varying degrees of harvesting disturbance
Eisenbies, Mark H.; Burger, James A.; Aust, W. Michael; Patterson, Stephen C.
- Double-planting can affect gains from weed control treatments
South, David B.
- Relationship between herbaceous layer, stand, and site variables in the Bankhead National Forest, Alabama
Zak, Joel C.; Dimov, Luben D.; Schweitzer, Callie Jo; Clark, Stacy L.
- The facilitation and impacts of Microstegium vimineum colonization in an eastern hardwood forest
Oswalt, Christopher M.; Oswalt, Sonja N.
- Influencing factors on vegetative cogongrass spread into pine forests on the Mississippi gulf coast
Prevost, Jon D.; Grebner, Donald L.; Jones, Jeanne C.; Grado, Stephen C.; Belli, Keith L.; Byrd, John D.
- Effects of mechanical and chemical control on Microstegium vimineum and its associates in central West Virginia
Pomp, Jonathan; McGill, Dave; Grafton, William; Chandran, Rakesh; Richardson, Russ
- Comparison of alternative kudzu control measures on a before-tax basis in Mississippi
Grebner, Donald L.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Prevost, Jon D.
- Efficacy of ‘hack and squirt’ application of imazapyr, triclopyr, and glyphosate to control the invasive tree species Chinese tallowtree
Gresham, Charles A.
- Use of carfentrazone for control of natural pine in forestry site preparation areas
Ezell, Andrew W.; Yeiser, Jimmie L.
- Strategies to achieve long-term benefits from multiple operational herbicide applications in lower coastal plain pine stands
Quicke, Harold E.; Lauer, Dwight K.
- Split-season herbaceous weed control for full-season seedling performance
Yeiser, Jimmie L.; Ezell, Andrew W.
- Loblolly pine growth following operational vegetation management treatments compares favorably to that achieved in complete vegetation control research trials
Lauer, Dwight K.; Quicke, Harold E.
- Evaluating subsoiling and herbaceous weed control on shortleaf pine planted in retired farm land
Kushla, John D.
- Effects of disking, bedding, and subsoiling on survival and growth of three oak species in central Mississippi
Jeffreys, J. Paul; Schultz, Emily B.; Matney, Thomas G.; Booth, W. Cade; Morris, Jason M.
- Evaluation of Nuttall oak and cherrybark oak survival by planting stock and site preparation treatment type in a WRP planting on a retired agricultural site
Self, Andrew B.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Londo, Andrew J.; Hodges, John D.
- Evaluating the use of enhanced oak seedlings for increased survival and growth: first-year survival
Moree, Joshua L.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Hodges, John D.; Londo, Andrew J.; Godwin, K. David
- Determining the factors associated with seedling herbivory on afforested carbon sequestration sites in the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley: preliminary results
Sumerall, Daniel C.; Grebner, Donald L.; Jones, Jeanne C.; Grado, Stephen C.; Maiers, Richard P.; Belli, Keith L.
- Growing cottonwoods for biomass: results of a ten-year irrigation study
Stuhlinger, H. Christoph; Doruska, Paul F.; Earl, Jeffery A.; Pelkki, Matthew H.
- Rooting stem cuttings of northern red oak (Quercus rubra L.) utilizing hedged stump sprouts formed on recently felled trees
Gocke, Matthew H.; Robinson, Daniel J.
- White oak epicotyl emergence and 1-0 seedling growth from surgically altered germinating acorns
Sung, Shi-Jean Susana; Kormanik, Paul P.; Zarnoch, Stanley J.
- Success of riparian restoration projects in the mountains, piedmont, and coastal plain of Virginia
Bradburn, Benjamin N.; Aust, W. Michael; Carroll, Matthew B.; Cumbia, Dean; Creighton, Jerre
- The use of gibberellic acid as a presowing treatment for cherrybark and Nuttall oak acorns
Adams, John C.; Adams, Joshua P.; Williams, R. A.
- Releasing red oak reproduction using a growing season application of Oust
Schuler, Jamie L.; Stephens, John
- Silvicultural and logistical considerations associated with the pending reintroduction of American chestnut
Jacobs, Douglass F.
- Effects of prescribed fire on vegetation and fuel loads in longleaf pine stands in the bluestem range
Haywood, James D.
- Stand dynamics of an old-field longleaf pine stand following herbicide application, poor survival, and subsequent replanting
Dickens, E. David; McElvany, Bryan C.; Moorhead, David J.; Torrance, Philip R.; Crosby, P. Mark
- Effect of lime stabilized biosolids and inorganic fertilizer applications on a thinned longleaf stand - ten year results
Dickens, E. David; McElvany, Bryan C.; Moorhead, David J.
- Effects of liquid fertilizer application on the morphology and outplanting success of container longleaf pine seedlings
Jackson, D. Paul; Dumroese, R. Kasten; Barnett, James P.; Patterson, William B.
- Longleaf pine bud development: influence of seedling nutrition
Barnett, J. P.; Jackson, D. P.; Dumroese, R. K.
- Effects of container cavity size and copper coating on field performance of container-grown longleaf pine seedlings
Sung, Shi-Jean Susana; Haywood, James D.; Sword-Sayer, Mary A.; Connor, Kristina F.; Scott, D. Andrew
- Artificially regenerating longleaf pine on wet sites: preliminary analysis of effects of site preparation treatments on early survival and growth
Knapp, Benjamin O.; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L.
- Composition and structure of managed pine stands compared to reference longleaf pine sites on Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina
Walker, Joan L.; Silletti, Andrea M.; Cohen, Susan
- Impact of Hurricane Ivan on the regional longleaf pine growth study: is there a relation to site or stand conditions?
Kush, John S.; Gilbert, John C.
- Initial effects from re-introducing fire in Alabama montane longleaf stands: fifty years since last burn
Hermann, Sharon M.; Kush, John S.
- Influence of repeated prescribed fire and herbicide application on the fine root biomass of young longleaf pine
Sword Sayer, Mary Anne; Kuehler, Eric A.
- Fuel loading and fire intensity-effects on longleaf pine seedling survival
Jack, Steven B.; Hiers, J. Kevin; Mitchell, Robert J.; Gagnon, Jennifer L.
- Forest soil response to fuel reduction treatments in the Southern Appalachian Mountains
Coates, T. Adams; Shelburne, Victor B.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Smith, Bill R.; Hill, Hoke S., Jr.; Simon, Dean M.
- Third-year responses of understory woody regeneration to fuel reduction treatments in the Southern Appalachian Mountains
Phillips, Ross J.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Simon, Dean M.
- Energy content in dried leaf litter of some oaks and mixed mesophytic species that replace oaks
Stottlemeyer, Aaron D.; Wang, G. Geoff; Brose, Patrick H.; Waldrop, Thomas A.
- Spacing and family affect fusiform rust incidence in loblolly pine at age 17
Adams, Joshua P.; Land, Samuel B. Jr.; Duzan, Howard W. Jr.
- Assessment of loblolly pine decline and site conditions on Fort Benning Military Reservation, GA
Menard, Roger D.; Eckhardt, Lori G.; Hess, Nolan J.
- Regeneration response to tornado and salvage harvesting in a bottomland forest
Nelson, John L.; Groninger, John W.; Battaglia, Loretta L.; Ruffner, Charles M.
- Conceptual framework for improved wind-related forest threat assessment in the Southeastern United States
Goodrick, Scott L.; Stanturf, John A.
- Southern pine beetle infestation probability mapping using weights of evidence analysis
Grogan, Jason B.; Kulhavy, David L.; Kroll, James C.
- Financial rates of return on thinned and unthinned stands, using large-scale forest inventory data in Mississippi and Arkansas, 1977 to 1995
Hartsell, Andrew J.
- Impact of initial spacing on yield per acre and wood quality of unthinned loblolly pine at age 21
Clark, Alexander, III; Daniels, Richard F.; Jordan, Lewis; Schimleck, Laurie
- The densest loblolly pine stand and its silvicultural implications
Zeide, Boris; Stephens, John
- Pine seed tree growth and yield on the Crossett Experimental Forest
Bragg, Don C.
- Self-referencing site index equations for unmanaged loblolly and slash pine plantations in east Texas
Coble, Dean W.; Lee, Young-Jin
- Consequences of a fixed-top DOB assumption on the estimation of pine chip-n-saw and sawtimber tons
Xydias, G. Kenneth
- Comparing diameter growth of stands prior to canopy closure to diameter growth of stands after canopy closure
Dean, Thomas J.; Scott, D. Andrew; Newbold, Ray A.
- Adjustments of individual-tree survival and diameter-growth equations to match whole-stand attributes
Cao, Quang V.
- Compatible taper and volume equations for young longleaf pine plantations in southwest Georgia
Jiang, Lichun; Brooks, John R.; Clark, Alexander III
- Applying the age-shift approach to model responses to midrotation fertilization
Carlson, Colleen A.; Fox, Thomas R.; Allen, H. Lee; Albaugh, Timothy J.
- Adjusting site index and age to account for genetic effects in yield equations for loblolly pine
Knowe, Steven A.; Foster, G. Sam
- Thinning guidelines from crown area relationships for young hardwood plantations
Stringer, Jeffrey W.; Cecil, Luke
- National workshop on forest productivity & technology: cooperative research to support a sustainable & competitive future - progress and strategy
Buford, Marilyn A.; Vance, Eric D.
- Comparing methods to estimate Reineke’s maximum size-density relationship species boundary line slope
VanderSchaaf, Curtis L.; Burkhart, Harold E.
- Forested land cover classification on the Cumberland Plateau, Jackson County, Alabama: a comparison of Landsat ETM+ and SPOT5 images
Wang, Yong; Parajuli, Shanta; Schweitzer, Callie; Smalley, Glendon; Lemke, Dawn; Tadesse, Wubishet; Chen, Xiongwen
- Stand quality management of a water oak plantation in Louisiana: preliminary results following thinning
Meadows, James S.; Skojac, Daniel A., Jr.
- Morphological and physiological responses of hardwood trees to plantation thinning
Gauthier, Martin-Michel; Jacobs, Douglass F.
- The Sylview graphical interface to the SYLVAN STAND STRUCTURE model with examples from southern bottomland hardwood forests
Larsen, David R.; Scott, Ian
- Oak regeneration following complete and partial harvesting in the Mississippi Bluff Hills: preliminary results
Lockhart, Brian Roy; Wishard, Rodney J.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Hodges, John D.; Davis, W. Norman
- Pre- and post-clearcut tree species distribution in two physiographic regions of the Shawnee National Forest, Illinois
Long, Michael A.; Groninger, John W.
- Effects of pre- and post-harvest site preparation treatments on natural regeneration success in a mixed hardwood stand after 10 years
Clatterbuck, Wayne K.; Schubert, Martin R.
- Production of willow oak acorns in an Arkansas greentree reservoir: an evaluation of regeneration and waterfowl forage potential
Guttery, M. R.; Ezell, A. W.; Hodges, J. D.; Londo, A. J.; Maiers, R. P.
- Biomass accumulation patterns of Nuttall oak seedlings established under three stand conditions
Gardiner, Emile S.; Hogue, Benjamin P.
- Hickory regeneration under five silvicultural prescriptions in an oak-hickory forest in northern Alabama
Schweitzer, Callie Jo
- Accelerating development with fertilization in a young natural Piedmont mixed hardwood pine stand
Berenguer, B. J.; Gocke, M. H.; Schuler, J. L.; Treasure, E.; Robison, D. J.
- Cerulean Warbler response to silvicultural manipulations on managed forestland in Desha Co., Arkansas, third year results
Hamel, Paul B.; Staten, Mike; Wishard, Rodney; Smith, Carl G., III
- Abundance and population structure of eastern worm snakes in forest stands with various levels of overstory tree retention
Felix, Zachary I.; Wang, Yong; Schweitzer, Callie Jo
- The influence of red-backed salamanders (Plethodon cinereus) on nutrient cycling in Appalachian hardwood forests
Sucre, Eric B.; Homyack, Jessica A.; Fox, Thomas R.; Haas, Carola A.
- Amphibian and reptile response to prescribed burning and thinning in pine-hardwood forests: pre-treatment results
Sutton, William B.; Wang, Yong; Schweitzer, Callie J.
- Habitat use of two songbird species in pine-hardwood forests treated with prescribed burning and thinning: first year results
Wick, Jill M.; Wang, Yong
- Snag recruitment and mortality in a bottomland hardwood forest following partial harvesting: second-year results
Lockhart, Brian Roy; Tappe, Philip A.; Peitz, David G.; Watt, Christopher A.
- Influence of establishment timing and planting stock on early rotational growth of loblolly pine plantations in Texas
Blazier, M. A.; Taylor, E. L.; Holley, A. G.
- Use of a thermocouple-datalogger system to evaluate overstory mortality
Brudnak, Lucy; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Phillips, Ross J.
- Development of a shortleaf pine individual-tree growth equation using non-linear mixed modeling techniques
Budhathoki, Chakra B.; Lynch, Thomas B.; Guldin, James M.
- Biomass and nitrogen dynamics of four plantation tree species receiving irrigation and fertilization
Cobb, W. Rusty; Will, Rodney E.; Daniels, Richard F.; Jacobson, Marshall A.
- Case study to examine the effects of a growing-season burn and annosum root disease on mortality in a longleaf pine stand
Cram, Michelle M.; Shea, Dan; Forbus, Ken
- Growth response of dominant and co-dominant loblolly pines to organic matter removal, soil compaction, and competition control
Eaton, Robert; Smith, William; Ludovici, Kim
- Pondering the monoterpene composition of Pinus serotina Michx.: can limonene be used as a chemotaxonomic marker for the identification of old turpentine stumps?
Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Mahfouz, Jolie M.; Sheridan, Philip M.
- Evaluating growth assumptions using diameter or radial increments in natural even-aged longleaf pine
Gilbert, John C.; Meldahl, Ralph S.; Rayamajhi, Jyoti N.; Kush, John S.
- Effects of prescribed burning, mechanical, and chemical treatments to curtail rhododendron dominance and reduce wildfire fuel loads
Harrell, Chuck; Zedaker, Shep
- Segmented polynomial taper equation incorporating years since thinning for loblolly pine plantations
Holley, A. Gordon; Lynch, Thomas B.; Stiff, Charles T.; Stansfield, William
- Longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) restoration on gulf lower coastal plain flatwoods sites: role of shrub control and phosphorous fertilization
Holzmueller, Eric J.; Freeman, Johanna E.; Jose, Shibu; Zamora, Diomides S.; Liddle, Jason
- Assessment of the 1998–2001 drought impact on forest health in southeastern forests: an analysis of drought severity using FHM data
Klos, R. J.; Wang, G. G.; Bauerle, W. L.
- Simulation of dynamics of southern pine beetle hazard rating with respect to silvicultural treatment and stand development
Leduc, D. J.; Goelz, J. C. G.
- Using BEHAVEPlus for predicting fire behavior in southern Appalachian hardwood stands subjected to fuel reduction treatments
Mohr, Helen H.; Waldrop, Thomas A.; Simon, Dean M.
- Effects of fire season on vegetation in longleaf pine (Pinus palustris) forests
Mudder, Bryan T.; Wang, G. Geoff; Walker, Joan L.; Lanham, J. Drew; Costa, Ralph
- Effects of forest fire and logging on forest degradation in Mongolia
Park, Yeong Dae; Lee, Don Koo; Tsogtbaatar, Jamsran; Stanturf, John A.
- Effect of thinning on partitioning of aboveground biomass in naturally regenerated shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata mill.)
Sabatia, Charles O.; Will, Rodney E.; Lynch, Thomas B.
- Second-year growth and bole quality response of residual poletimber trees following thinning in an even-aged bottomland hardwood sawtimber stand
Skojac, Daniel A., Jr.; Meadows, James S.; Ezell, Andrew W.
- Wood quality for longleaf pines: a spacing, thinning and pruning study on the Kisatchie National Forest
So, Chi-Leung; Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Leduc, Daniel J.; Groom, Leslie H.; Goelz, Jeffery C. G.
- Hardwood regeneration related to overstory shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata mill.) basal area, site index, and time since cutting in Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma
Stevenson, Douglas J.; Lynch, Thomas B.; Guldin, James M.
- The effects of tree shelters on seedling survival and growth of two bottomland hardwood species: third-year results
Stuhlinger, H. Christoph; Earl, Jeffery A.; Montgomery, Rebecca A.
- Effects of harvesting treatments on the ant community in a Mississippi River bottomland hardwood forest in west-central Mississippi
Thompson, Lynne C.; General, David M.; Lockhart, Brian Roy
- A model for estimating understory vegetation response to fertilization and precipitation in loblolly pine plantations
VanderSchaaf, Curtis L.; McKnight, Ryan W.; Fox, Thomas R.; Allen, H. Lee
- Delayed mortality of eastern hardwoods after prescribed fire
Yaussy, Daniel A.; Waldrop, Thomas A.
Description: A range of issues affecting southern forests are addressed in 113 papers. Papers are grouped into 12 sessions that include carbon; pine silviculture; invasive species; site preparation; hardwood artificial regeneration; longleaf pine; forest health and fire; growth and yield; hardwood intermediate treatments; hardwood natural regeneration; wildlife; and posters.
View or Print this Publication (20.4 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Stanturf, John A., ed. 2010. Proceedings of the 14th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–121. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 614 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility