||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Proceedings of the 16th biennial southern silvicultural research conference
Author: Butnor, John R.
Source: e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-156. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 391 p.
- The effects of planting density and cultural intensity on loblolly pine crown characteristics at age twelve
Akers, Madison; Kane, Michael; Teskey, Robert; Daniels, Richard; Zhao, Dehai; Subedi, Santosh
- Efficacy and non-target impact of midstory injection in bottomland hardwoods
Alkire, Derek K.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Self, Andrew B.; Demarais, Stephen; Strickland, Bronson K.
- Extending the capabilities of an individual tree growth simulator to model non-traditional loblolly pine plantation systems for multiple products
Amateis, Ralph L.; Burkhart, Harold E.
- Longitudial variation in wood specific gravity of planted loblolly pine in the southern United States
Antony, Finto; Schimleck, Laurence R.; Daniels, Richard F.; Clark, Alexander
- Genetic effects on stand-level uniformity, and above- and belowground dry mass production in juvenile loblolly pine
Aspinwall, Michael J.; King, John S.; McKeand, Steven E.; Bullock, Bronson P.
- A watershed-based environmental and regulatory data analysis system for the forest products industry
- Effects of silvicultural management on low gradient stream water quality in Louisiana
Beebe, John; Ice, George; Xu, Y. Jun; DaSilva, Abram; Stich, Richard
- Herbicide site preparation and release options for eucalyptus plantation establishment in the western gulf
Blazier, Michael A.; Johnson, John; Taylor, Eric L.; Osbon, Brad
- Short-term changes in loblolly pine water conductance and photosynthetic capacity from fertilizer source and straw harvesting
Blazier, Michael A.; Ellum, Keith; Liechty, Hal O.
- Age structure of a southern pine stand following 72 years of uneven-aged silviculture
Bragg, Don C.
- Apical bud toughness tests and tree sway movements to examine crown abrasion: preliminary results
Brannon, Tyler; Clatterbuck, Wayne
- Canopy accession patterns of table mountain and pitch pines during the 19th and 20th centuries
Brose, Patrick H.; Waldrop, Thomas A.
- Exploring genetic diversity, physiologic expression and carbon dynamics in longleaf pine: a new study installation at the Harrison Experimental Forest
Butnor, John R.; Johnsen, Kurt H.; Nelson, C. Dana
- Longer black willow cuttings result in better initial height and diameter growth in biomass plantations
Camp, Jake C.; Rousseau, Randall J.; Gardiner, Emile S.
- Herpetofaunal response to oak-regenerating silvicultural practices in the mid-Cumberland plateau of southern Tennessee
Cantrell, Andrew W.; Wang, Yong; Schweitzer, Callie J.; Greenberg, Cathryn H.
- Use of the Weibull function to predict future diameter distributions from current plot data
Cao, Quang V.
- Assessing soil impacts related to forest harvest operations
Carter, E.A.; Grace, John M. III.
- Lessons from the field: The first tests of restoration American chestnut (Castanea dentata) seedlings planted in the Southern Region
Clark, Stacy; Schlarbaum, Scott; Saxton, John; Hebard, Fred; Blanton, John; Casey, David ; Crane, Barbara; MacFarlane, Russ; Rodrigue, Jason; Jim, Stelick
- Longleaf pine agroforestry
Connor, Kristina; Barlow, Rebecca; Dimov, Luben; Smith, Mark
- First year response of oak natural regeneration to a shelterwood harvest and midstory competition control in the Arkansas Ozarks
Cunningham, K. Kyle
- Effectiveness of timber harvesting BMPs: monitoring spatial and temporal dynamics of dissolved oxygen, nitrogen, and phosphorus in a low-gradient watershed, Louisiana
DaSilva, Abram; Xu, Y. Jun; Ice, George; Beebe, John; Stich, Richard
- Sustaining Quercus humboldtii and Colombobalanus excelsa on the Colombian landscape: preservation or conservation - a research perspective
Dey, ; Royo, Alejandro A.; Gardiner, Emile S.; Cardenas, Luis Mario
- Longleaf pine wood and straw yields from two old-field planted sites in Georgia
Dickens, E. David; Moorhead, David J.; McElvany, Bryan C.; Hicks, Ray
- Characterization of yields for Pinus taeda genotypes at the half-sib, full-sib, and varietal levels of genetic improvement at two planting densities at age 5 in the upper coastal plain of Georgia
Dougherty, Derek; Kane, Michael; Teskey, Robert; Daniels, Richard; Wright, Jeff
- Pine straw production: from forest to front yard
Dyer, Janice F.; Barlow, Rebecca J.; Kush, John S.; Gilbert, John C.
- Influence of light and moisture on longleaf pine seedling growth in selection silviculture
Dyson, David S.; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Jack, Steven B.; Brockway, Dale G.
- Efficacy of treatments using MAT-28 for pine site preparation
Ezell, Andrew; Yeiser, Jimmie; Minogue, Pat
- Use of aminocyclopyrachlor for forestry site preparation in the Southeastern U.S.
Ezell, Andrew W.; Turner, Ronnie; Yeiser, Jimmie L.
- Control and management of eastern baccharis in a recently established bottomland hardwood plantation
Gann, Benton; Thompson, Lynne; Schuler, Jamie L.
- Geospatial relationships of tree species damage caused by Hurricane Katrina in south Mississippi
Garrigues, Mark W.; Fan, Zhaofei; Evans, David L.; Roberts, Scott D.; Cooke III, William H.
- Spatial analysis of longleaf pine stand dynamics after 60 years of management
Gilbert, John C.; Kush, John S.; Barlow, Rebecca J.
- Frequency and season of prescribed fire affect understory plant communities in longleaf pine stands
Haywood, James D.
- Ice damage effects on thinned loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) stands in southeastern Oklahoma
Hennessey, Thomas; Heinemann, Robert; Holeman, Randal; Will, Rodney; Lynch, Thomas; Stevenson, Douglas; Lorenzi, Edward; Caterina, Giulia
- Management intensity and genetics affect loblolly pine crown characteristics
Herrin, B. Landis; Roberts, Scott D.; Rousseau, Randall J.
- Evaluating different planting stocks for oak regeneration on Hurricane Katrina disturbed lands
Hollis, Damon B.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Schultz, Emily B.; Hodges, John D.; Self, Andrew B.; Alkire, Derek K.
- Whole canopy gas exchange among elite loblolly pine families subjected to drought stress
Hood, Wilson G.; Tyree, Michael C.; Dillaway, Dylan N.; Blazier, Michael A.; Sword Sayer, Mary Anne
- Evaluation of short-rotation woody crops to stabilize a decommissioned swine lagoon
Dipesh, K.C.; Will, Rodney E.; Hennessey, Thomas C.; Penn, Chad J.
- Planting density and silvicultural intensity impacts on loblolly pine stand development in the western gulf coastal plain through age 8
Kane, Michael B.; Zhao, Dehai; Rheney, John W.; Messina, Michael G.; Rahman, Mohd S.; Chappell, Nicholas
- Sediment yield along an actively managed riparian buffer
Kara, Ferhat; Loewenstein, Edward F.; Kalin, Latif
- Release of nitrogen and phosphorus from loblolly pine forest floor in a post-harvest microclimate
Kiser, L. Chris; Fox, Thomas R.
- Are we over-managing longleaf pine?
Kush, John S.; Barlow, Rebecca J.; Gilbert, John C.
- Assessing the leaning, bending, and sinuosity of sapling-size trees
Leduc, Daniel J.; Sung, Shi-Jean S.; Wharton, Kristi
- Changes in non-pine woody species density, composition, and diversity following herbicide and fertilization application to mid-rotation loblolly pine stands
Liechty, Hal O.; Fristoe, Conner
- Twenty-nine years of development in planted cherrybark oak-sweetgum mixtures: implications for future mixed-species hardwood plantations
Lockhart, Brian Roy; Ezell, Andrew W.; Hodges, John D.; Clatterbuck, Wayne K.
- Relative maxima of diameter and basal area
Lynch, Thomas B.; Zhang, Difei
- Estimating fuel consumption during prescribed fires in Arkansas
McDaniel, Virginia L.; Guldin, James M.; Perry, Roger W.
- Long-term effects of wetland harvesting practices on productivity and carbon pools
McKee, Scott; Aust, Mike; Seiler, John; Strahm, Brian
- Effects of thinning on aboveground carbon sequestration by a 45-year-old eastern white pine plantation: A case study
McNab, W. Henry
- Growth and bole quality responses to thinning in a red oak-sweetgum stand in southeastern Arkansas: nine-year results
Meadows, James S.
- Stand quality management in a late-rotation, red oak-sweetgum stand in east Mississippi: preliminary results following thinning
Meadows, James S.; Skojac , Daniel A. Jr.
- Prescribed burning cost recovery analysis on nonindustrial private forestland in North Carolina
Myers, Ronald J.; Powell, William; Megalos, Mark
- Whole-canopy gas exchange among four elite loblolly pine seed sources planted in the western gulf region
Osbon, Bradley S.; Blazier, Michael A.; Tyree, Michael C.; Sword-Sayer, Mary Anne
- Long and short term changes in the forests of the Cumberland Plateau and Mountains using large scale forest inventory data
Oswalt, Christopher M.; Hartsell, Andrew J.
- A comparison of herbicide tank mixtures for mid-rotation gallberry competition release in slash pine
Petre, Lukas J.; Wilson, Alan B.; Kline, William N.
- Early results of a chestnut planting in eastern Kentucky illustrate reintroduction challenges
Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Franklin, Jennifer A.; Buckley, David S.; Clark, Stacy L.; Schweitzer, Callie J.; Saxton, Arnold M.; Hebard, Frederick V.
- Silviculture and the assessment of climate change genetic risk for southern Appalachian forest tree species
Potter, Kevin M.; Crane, Barbara S.
- Management intensity and genetics affect loblolly pine seedling performance
Roberts, Scott D.; Rousseau, Randall J.; Herrin, B. Landis
- Stand and individual tree growth response to treatments in young natural hardwoods
Robison, Daniel J.; San Filipo, Tracy; Lawrence III, Charlie; Schuler, Jamie L.; Berenguer, Bryan J.
- Field performance and bioenergy characteristics of four commercial eucalyptus grandis cultivars in Florida
Rockwood, Donald L.; Tamang, Bijay; Kirst, Matias; Zhu, JY
- Comparison of advanced genetic loblolly pine planting stock
Rousseau, R.J.; Roberts, S.D.; Herrin, B.L.
- Development of an applied black willow tree improvement program for biomass production in the south
Rousseau, Randall J.; Gardiner, Emile S.; Leininger, Theodor D.
- Technology for biomass feedstock production in southern forests and GHG implications
Rummer, Bob; Klepac, John; Thompson, Jason
- Effectiveness and costs of overland skid trail BMPs
Sawyers, Clay; Aust, W. Michael; Bolding, M. Chad; Lakel III, William A.
- Comparing second year growth of American sycamore, black willow, and eastern cottonwood with and without fertilization
Schuler, Jamie L.
- The application of single-tree selection compared to diameter-limit cutting in an upland oak-hickory forest on the Cumberland Plateau in Jackson County, Alabama
Schweitzer, Callie Jo; Janzen, Greg
- Effects of chemical site preparation on herbaceous vegetation prior to hardwood plantation establishment
Self, Andrew B.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Londo, Andrew J.; Hodges, John D.; Alkire, Derek K.
- Evaluation of site preparation and planting stock on nuttall oak and cherrybark oak growth on a former agriculture area
Self, Andrew B.; Ezell, Andrew W.; Londo, Andrew J.; Hodges, John D.; Alkire, Derek K.
- Estimating the probability of survival of individual shortleaf pine (Pinus echinata mill.) trees
Shrestha, Sudip; Lynch, Thomas B.; Zhang, Difei; Guldin, James M.
- Will afforestation in temperate zones warm the earth?
South, David B.; Lee, Xuhui; Messina, Michael G.
- Blue storms depress growth of shortleaf pine in western Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma
Stevenson, Douglas J.; Lynch, Thomas B.; Guldin, James M.
- Beetle-killed stands in the South Carolina piedmont: from fuel hazards to regenerating oak forests
Stottlemyer, Aaron D.; Wang, G. Geoff; Waldrop, Thomas A.
- Short-term carbon partitioning fertilizer responses vary among two full-sib loblolly pine clones
Stovall, Jeremy P.; Seiler, John R.; Fox, Thomas R.
- Differences among shortleaf pine seed sources on the Ozark and Ouachita National Forests at age ten
Studyvin, Charly; Gwaze, David
- Effect of culture and density on aboveground biomass allocation of 12 years old loblolly pine trees in the upper coastal plain and piedmont of Georgia and Alabama
Subedi, Santosh; Kane, Dr. Michael; Zhao, Dr. Dehai; Borders, Dr. Bruce; Greene, Dr. Dale
- Methodology and preliminary results of evaluating stem displacement and assessing root system architecture of longleaf pine saplings
Sung, Shi-Jean S.; Leduc, Daniel J.; Haywood, James D.; Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Sword Sayer, Mary Anne; Zarnoch, Stanley J.
- Surface soil root response to season of repeated fire in a young longleaf pine plantation
Sword Sayer, Mary Anne; Haywood, James D.
- Integrating forest stand projections with wildlife occupancy models to develop a decision support tool
Tacconelli, Michelle F.; Loewenstein, Edward F.
- A mixed-effects height-diameter model for cottonwood in the Mississippi Delta
VanderSchaaf, Curtis L.; Stuhlinger, H. Christoph
- Increased uniformity by planting clones will likely have a minimal effect on inventory costs
VanderSchaaf, Curtis L.; Coble, Dean W.; South, David B.
- Silviculture of varietal loblolly pine plantations: second year impacts of spacing and silvicultural treatments on varieties with differing crown ideotypes
Vickers, Lance A.; Fox, Thomas R.; Stape, Jose L.; Albaugh, Timothy J.
- Best management practices for erosion control from bladed skid trails
Wade, Charles R.; Aust, W. Michael; Bolding, M. Chad; Lakel III, William A.
- Low-cost regeneration techniques for mixed-species management – 20 years later
Waldrop, Thomas A.; Mohr, Helen H.
- Science delivery is a two-way street – development of the Consortium Of Appalachian Fire Managers and Scientists (CAFMS)
Waldrop, Thomas A.; Mohr, Helen H.; Hoyle, Zoe
- The 3Ps of oak regeneration: planning, patience and persistence
Weigel, Dale R.; Dey, Daniel C.; Kabrick, John.
- The 3 Ps of oak regeneration: planning, persistence, and patience
Weigel, Dale R.; Dey, Daniel C.; Kabrick, John
- Effect of simulated ice storm damage on loblolly pine tree and stand growth
Will, Rodney E.; Hennessey, Thomas; Lynch, Thomas; Heinemann, Robert; Holeman, Randal; Wilson, Dennis
- Controlling roadside noncrop pine in SE Oklahoma using selected glyphosate formulations with and without LI 700 and Milestone VM Plus
Yeiser, J.L.; Finke, M.; Grogan, J.
- Screening cut-stump control of Chinese tallowtree, sweetgum and yaupon with aminocyclopyrachlor
Yeiser, J. L.; Link, M.; Grogan, J.
Description: A range of issues affecting southern forests are addressed, including pine and hardwood silviculture, soil and water, physiology and genetics, carbon and bioenergy, fire and fuels, forest health, restoration, growth and yield, and forest economics.
View or Print this Publication (12.7 MB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Butnor, John R., ed. 2012. Proceedings of the 16th biennial southern silvicultural research conference. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-156. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 391 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility