Title: Wilderness science in a time of change conference-Volume 1: Changing perspectives and future directions; 1999 May 23-27; Missoula, MT
Author: Cole, David N.; McCool, Stephen F.; Freimund, Wayne A.; O'Loughlin, Jennifer
Source: Proceedings RMRS-P-15-VOL-1. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 63 p.
- Wilderness science in a time of change: a conference
Cole, David N.; McCool, Stephen F.; Parsons, David J.; Brown, Perry J.
- Global change and wilderness science
Vitousek, Peter M.; Aber, John D.; Goodale, Christine L.; Aplet, Gregory H.
- Future trends in society and technology: implications for wilderness research and management
Stankey, George H.
- Contemporary criticisms of the received wilderness idea
Callicott, J. Baird
- The real wilderness idea
- Changing human relationships with nature: making and remaking wilderness science
Belsky, Jill M.
- Wilderness science: an oxymoron?
Botkin, Daniel B.
- Wilderness biology and conservation: future directions
Noss, Reed F.
- Mapping the geography of hope
Dustin, Daniel L.
- Wilderness management dilemmas: fertile ground for wilderness management research
Cole, David N.; Hammitt, William E.
Description: Ten papers presented as plenary talks at the conference, "Wilderness Science in a Time of Change," are included. Topics include: the influence of global change on wilderness and its management; contemporary criticisms and celebrations of the wilderness idea; the capacity of science to meet the challenges and opportunities wilderness presents; wilderness in relation to biological conservation and the human experience of wilderness; and fundamental dilemmas of wilderness management.
Keywords: conservation biology, global change, societal change, technology, trends, wilderness management
View or Print this Publication (1.3 MB bytes)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication. (Please specify exactly
which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
Cole, David N.; McCool, Stephen F.; Freimund, Wayne A.; O''Loughlin, Jennifer 2000. Wilderness science in a time of change conference-Volume 1: Changing perspectives and future directions; 1999 May 23-27; Missoula, MT. Proceedings RMRS-P-15-VOL-1. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 63 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility