||All Treesearch publications were written or produced by Forest Service personnel
and are in the public domain. You can also locate Treesearch publications by geography and/or full text searches using GeoTreesearch.
US Forest Service
P.O. Box 96090
You are here: Home
/ Publication Information
Title: Changing Forests - Challenging Times: Proceedings of the New England Society of American Foresters 85th Winter Meeting
Author: Kenefic, Laura S.; Twery, Mark J., eds.
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-325. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 85 p.
- The Value of Long-term Silviculture Research for All Categories of Landowners, Large and Small, Private and Public
- Long-term Ecological Research at the Harvard Forest
Barker Plotkin, Audrey A.; Foster, David R.
- Use of Cybocephalus nipponicus (Coleoptera: Nitidulidea) for Biological Control of Elongate Hemlock Scale, Fiorinia externa (Homoptera: Diaspidae), in Pennsylvania Forests
Blumenthal, E. Michael; Werner, Shahla M.; Regester, Bradley S.
- A Growing Network: Regional Invasive Plant Initiatives in New England
- Invasive Plants, Deer and Forest Regeneration: Observations from Southeastern Vermont
Bouton, Jonathan L.
- Focus Species Forestry: an Applied Approach to Integrating Timber and Biodiversity Management in the Northeast
Bryan, Robert R.
- Landscape-Scale Forest Planning - Using the American Marten as a Guide
- Profiles of Working Woodlands: Expanding the Definition of Active Forest Management
Campbell, Susan; Catanzaro, Paul
- Long-term Forest Genetics Research in Northeastern North America: a Sampler
Carter, Katherine K.
- Sampling Hemlock Woolly Adelgid and Developing Insect-killing Fungi for Their Suppression
Costa, Scott D.; Gouli, Vladimir; Gouli, Svetlana; Skinner, Margaret; Brownbridge, Michael; Parker, Bruce L.
- Managing for Biodiversity in Maine?s Forests: a Maine Natural Areas Program Perspective
Cutko, Andy; Docherty, Molly
- Oriental Bittersweet: Understanding its Ecology and Planning its Control
- Influence of Forest Practices on Stand-scale Habitat Selection by Lynx in Northern Maine: Preliminary Results
Fuller, Angela K.; Harrison, Daniel J.
- Regeneration Strategies of Japanese Barberry (Berberis thunbergii DC) in Coastal Forests of Maine
D'Appollonio, Jennifer; Livingston, William H.; Wagner, Robert G.
- A Biodiversity Scorecard for Sustainable Forestry: Simplifying Complexity
Hagan, John M.; Whitman, Andrew A.
- What Landowners and Forest Managers Need to Know about Forest Carbon: a Background from Global to Local
Heath, Linda S.
- Carbon Storage in Northeastern US Forest Soils
Hoover, Coeli M.
- Long-term Hardwood Research Work in Quebec: the Example of Duchesnay Forest
Huot, Michel; Bedard, Steve
- Alternate Year Beechnut Production and its Influence on Bear and Marten Populations
Jakubas, Walter J.
- Digging Out the Data: USDA Forest Service Research on the Penobscot Experimental Forest
Kenefic, Laura S.; Sendak, Paul E.; Brissette, John C.
- Effects of Silviculture on Mature Forest and Early-successional Shrubland Passerine Birds in Northern and Central New England
King, David I.; Chandler, Carlin; Chandler, Richard; DeGraaf, Richard M.
- VOS - Task Force Recommendations
Laustsen, Kenneth M.
- Forestry and Forest Heritage Tourism Opportunities for Landowners and Communities
- Global Trade in Forest Products: Implications for the Forest Products Industry and Timber Resources in New England
Schuler, Albert; Ince, Peter
- Impact of a Shelterwood Harvest on the Net Carbon Balance of a Spruce/Hemlock Dominated Forest in Maine
Scott, Neal A.; Hollinger, David Y.; Davidson, Eric A.; Rodrigues, Charles A.; Dail, D. Bryan
- Bridging the Gap
Schaeffer, Al; Robertson, Doug
- Development of Forest Carbon Stock and Stock Change Baselines in Support of the 2004 Climate Action Plan for Maine
Smith, James E.
- COLE: Carbon On-line Estimator, Version 2
Spinney, Michael P.; Van Deusen, Paul C.; Heath, Linda S.; Smith, James E.
- Listening to Old Beech & Young Cherry Trees - Experiences in the Alleghenies & Nearby
Stout, Susan L.
- Acadia Research Forest: a Primary Forest Research Facility for Natural Resources Canada, Canadian Forest Service - Atlantic
Swift, D. Edwin; Kilpatrick, Brian; Pegler, Shirley
- What are National Forests Looking for from Professional Forestry Organizations?
Wagner, Thomas G.
- Implementing Forest Stewardship Plans in Urbanizing Areas - Opportunities for Resource Professionals
Worthley, Tom; Monthey, Roger
- A Forest in Conflict: the Proposal for a 3.2 Million Acre National Park and Preserve in Maine's Working Forest
Baldwin, Elizabeth D.; Kenefic, Laura S.; LaPage, Wilbur; Daigle, John J.
- Long-term Stand Development in Uneven-aged Northern Hardwoods Under Selection System Management
Bohn, Kimberly K.; Nyland, Ralph D.
- Variation in Soil Chemical Analytical Results Among Graduate Students
Briggs, Russell D.; Bickelhaupt, Donald H.; Young, Eric O.
- Massabesic Experimental Forest
Brissette, John C.; Sendak, Paul E.; Dibble, Alison C.; Rees, Catherine A.
- Forester's Guide to NRCS' Technical Service Provider (TSP) Program
- Wildlife Responses to Invasive Shrubs in Early-successional Habitats of Southeastern New Hampshire
Clifford, Brendan J.; Litvaitis, John A.
- Exotic and Native Tree Plantations at the Fox Research Forest and Vincent State Forest, New Hampshire
- Mice, Mast, and Group-selection Harvest: 20 Years on a Maine Pine-oak Forest
Elias, Susan P.; Witham, Jack W.; Hunter, Malcolm L. Jr.
- Aboveground Biomass and Nutrient Content in Developing Hardwood Stands at Bartlett Experimental Forest, NH
Fatemi, Farrah R.
- The Bear Brook Watershed in Maine ? Decadal Responses to Whole Forest Ecosystem Manipulations
Fernandez, Ivan J.; Rustad, Lindsey E.; Norton, Stephen A.; Wiersma, G. Bruce; Kahl, J. Stephen
- Disturbance History of Old-growth Red Spruce Stands in Northern Maine: Linking Tree-ring and Stem-mapped Data
Fraver, Shawn; White, Alan S.
- Changing Landownership in the Northern Forest: Effects on Biodiversity
Hagan, John M.; Whitman, Andrew L.; Irland, Lloyd C.
- A State-wide Assessment of the Abundance and Distribution of the Peach Bark Beetle, Phloeotribus liminaris (Coleoptera: Scolytidae): a Potential Threat to Black Cherry
Hanavan, Ryan P.; Allen, Douglas C.
- Regeneration of Northern White-cedar Following Silvicultural Treatment: a Long-term Study
Hebert, Barbara; Gagnon, Rejean; LaRouche, Catherine; Ruel, Jean-Claude; Kenefic, Laura S.; Brissette, John C.
- Reality Check: Has the Massachusetts Current-use Tax Program Been Effective in Deterring Forest Parcelization?
Hewes, Jaketon H.
- Land Use History and Forest Succession on Long Island, Maine
Hoffmann, Kristen A.; Kimball, Alan J.; Wilson, Jeremy S.
- Stand-level Responses of Northern White-cedar to Silvicultural Treatments in Central Maine
Hofmeyer, Philip V.; Kenefic, Laura; Brissette, John C.
- Ecology and Silviculture of Northern White-cedar
Hofmeyer, Philip V.; Kenefic, Laura S.; Seymour, Robert S.; Brissette, John C.
- Competitive Position of the Maine Paper Industry: Benchmarking Against Competing Regions
Irland, Lloyd C.; Rice, Robert
- Habitat Features that Influence the Prevalence of Invasive Shrubs in Early successional Habitats: the Role of Spatial Scale
Johnson, Vanessa S.; Litvaitis, John A.; Lee, Thomas D.; Frey, Serita D.
- Investigating the Onset of Radial Growth Reduction Caused by Balsam Woolly Adelgid Damage on Balsam Fir in Relation to Climate Using Dendroecological Methods
Kanoti, Allison M.; Livingston, William H.
- Factors Influencing the Germination, Emergence, and Early Survival of Native and Non-native Tree Species in the Acadian Forest
Kanoti, Keith G.; Wagner, Robert G.
- Sapling Recruitment and Growth Dynamics in Multi-aged Northern Conifer Stands: a 20-year Study
Kenefic, Laura S.; Brissette, John C.
- Dynamics of Tree Growth and Composition Following Partial Cutting in an Oak ? Pine Forest in Maine
Kenefic, Laura S.; Elias, Susan P.; Kimball, Alan J.; Witham, Jack W.
- Field Efficiency and Bias of Methods for Snag and Cavity Tree Inventory
Kenning, Robert S.; Ducey, Mark J.; Gove, Jeff H.; Brissette, John C.
- P.O. Series ? Stand Dynamics
Laustsen, Kenneth M.
- Long-term Effects of Liming on Soil Chemistry in Northern Hardwood Forests
Lilly, Paul J.
- Simulating Rehabilitation Treatments in Northern Hardwood Stands Following Diameter-limit Cutting
Maguire, Michael P.; Kenefic, Laura S.; Wilson, Jeremy S.; Nyland, Ralph D.
- Maine?s Commercial Thinning Research Network: a Long-term Research Installation Designed to Improve Our Understanding about How Forests Respond to Thinning
McConville, Daniel J.; Wagner, Robert G.; Seymour, Robert S.
- The Pack Forest Plain: One of North America?s Oldest Forest Fertilization Experiments
Nowak, Christopher A.
- Land-use History as a Driver of Current Ecological Processes
O'Keefe, John F.; Foster, David R.; Motzkin, Glenn; Hall, Brian
- Effects of Silvicultural Treatments on Coarse Woody Debris in the Catskill Region
Park, Byung B.; Yanai, Ruth D.; Germain, Rene H.
- Early Development of Gap Origin Northern Conifers: Do Modest Sized Canopy Openings Provide for Timely Recruitment Opportunities?
Ray, David G.; Seymour, Robert S.; Brissette, John C.
- Soil Characteristics 30-years Post-harvest on Maine Spruce Flats: Preliminary Results
Reinmann, Andy B.; Kenefic, Laura S.; Fernandez, Ivan J.; Shortle, Walter C.
- Patterns of Aboveground Biomass Accumulation in a Northern Temperate Forest
Richardson, John B.; Ducey, Mark J.; Smith, Marie-Louise
- Reconstructing the Interactions Between Acer rubrum, Betula lenta and Quercus rubra in a Mixed-species Forest in Central Massachusetts: Revisiting the Earl Stephens Plot
Roberge, Steven S.
- Silviculture of Northern White-cedar in Mixedwood Forests
Ruel, Jean-Claude; Larouche, Catherine; Morisette, Sabrina; Lussier, Jean Martin; Kenefic, Laura S.
- Silviculture and Wildlife in Boreal Irregular Forests: a Cooperative Research Initiative
Ruel, Jean-Claude; Pothier, David; Fortin, Daniel; Elie, Jean-Gabriel
- Documenting the Ecological Effects of New Silvicultural Systems in Maine?s Acadian Forest
Saunders, Mike; Wagner, Robert; Hunter, Malcolm Jr.,; Woods, Steve; Schofield, Darci; Strojny, Carol; Abell, Kristopher; Thomas, Shelly
- Large Area Comparisons of Forest Management Practices (1951 - Present)
Schuler, Thomas M.; Adams, Mary Beth; Ford, W. Mark; Kochenderfer, James N.; Edwards, Pamela J.
- Using Calicioid Lichens and Fungi to Assess Ecological Continuity in the Acadian Forest
Selva, Steven B.
- Forty Years of Partial Harvesting in Mixed Northern Conifers in Maine: Results from the Penobscot Experimental Forest
Sendak, Paul E.; Brissette, John C.; Frank (retired), Robert M.; Kenefic, Laura S.
- Assessing Christmas Tree Response to N Fertilization
Slesak, Robert A.; Briggs, Russell D.
- Long-term Research on the USFS Kane Experimental Forest in Northwestern Pennsylvania
Stout, Susan L.; Ristau, Todd E.
- Acadia Research Forest: a Living Laboratory
Swift, D. Edwin; Kilpatrick, Brian
- The Cooperative Forestry Research Unit: a Partnership Between Maine?s Forest Managers and the University of Maine Since 1975
Wagner, Robert G.; McConville, Daniel J.
- Influence of Silvicultural Intensity and Compositional Objectives on the Productivity of Regenerating Forest Stands in Maine
Wagner, Robert G.; Saunders, Mike R.; Kanoti, Keith; Brissette, John C.; Dionne, Richard J.
- Influence of Disturbance on Ingrowth in Hardwood Forests: the Old-series Plots ? 1927-1997
Ward, Jeffery S.
- Elementary Silviculture: Presenting Forest Science to Children Through the NSF?s Gk-12 Fellowship
Waskiewicz, Justin D.; Kenefic, Laura S.
- Effect of Harvest Intensity on Soil Physical Properties and Site Productivity in Riparian Mixedwood Forests
Weaver, Jamie K.; Kenefic, Laura S.; Fernandez, Ivan J.
- Lasting Effects of Hurricane Disturbance on Long-term Forest Development at the Harvard Forest
Wilson, Kristin R.; Barker Plotkin, Audrey A.; Foster, David R.
- Long-term study of a pine ? oak forest ecosystem: Holt Research Forest
Witham, Jack W.; Hunter, Malcolm L. Jr.; Kimball, Alan J.; White, Alan S.; Elias, Susan P.; Kenefic, Laura S.
- Tree Regeneration at Holt Research Forest: Impacts of Red Maple Removal and White-tailed Deer Browsing
Witham, Jack W.; Kimball, Alan J.; Elias, Susan P.; Kenefic, Laura S.
Description: Contains abstracts from 32 oral presentations and 53 posters presentations at the 85th annual winter meeting of the New England Society of American Foresters, in Portland, Maine, March 16-18, 2005.
Keywords: forestry, sustainability, tree growth, New England, vegetation dynamics, silviculture, forest health
View or Print this Publication (714 KB)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
- This publication may be available in hard copy. Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat. During the capture process some typographical errors may occur. Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
Kenefic, Laura S.; Twery, Mark J., eds. 2005. Changing Forests - Challenging Times: Proceedings of the New England Society of American Foresters 85th Winter Meeting. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-325. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 85 p.
Get the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat reader or Acrobat Reader for Windows with Search and Accessibility